Monday, January 26, 2009

Chosen

I quite often get asked about predestination which is always a lively one. I was helped in my understanding of it all by reading the Institutes for an essay a college (most people haven't bothered and they are missing out), by a sermon by Keller and a seminar by Alister McGrath. John Calvin says in Book III we don't know who are elect and who are not so we preach the gospel to all.

This seems like a reasonable plan.

In a discussion last night with some folk in the pub after church my pal Mark said he had always found the lyrics of Martin Smith (of Delirious fame) in his song 'I've found Jesus' helpful in this regard.

"I have chosen to believe believing he has chosen me"

I wonder of Whitfield and Wesley could agree to agree on that one?

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful