Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Idolatry

I have finally got around to listening to Keller's talk on idols. I have been rather busy with essay writing and preaching and tax returns so have not been listening to talks or reading much. My next read is going to be 'The quest for more' which I am looking forward to.

There were many things that moved me and challenged me in this talk but the main thing was that Keller did exactly what the preach was about. Here, sitting before him were a couple of thousand? (I don't know exactly how many) church leaders and 'sound' preachers and he read their mail. He went after their idols of preaching and ministry and over work and competitiveness and of power and pride. 

This is courageous preaching. 

He saw the Asherah poles and tore them down before people's eyes. At least he tore them down before mine.

Idols. Yes, idols yet again (It's all about idols-read the last verse of 1 John). 

As an aside, a pal and I speak a two or three times a week on matters of scripture, life and 'stuff'. If there is a verse we don't get or a drama we are facing we share the burden or theological question or thought or joy. He is a great encouragement to me. Ministry and life is not meant to be a solitary business- try to get someone to call.

The verse we are pondering is Proverbs 20:5. I am enjoyed the chew.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful