Saturday, May 09, 2009

Romans 6

A pal is giving a paper on Romans 6 and I told him that Lloyd-Jones would not preach on Romans until he had understood chapter 6. He asked me for the reference so I had to go and search for it and typed it out for him and here it is:

"One Sunday evening at the close of the service at Westminster Chapel, somewhere about 1943, a certain well-known preacher came into my vestry and said to me: 'When are you going to preach as series of expository sermons on the Epistle to the Romans? I answered immediately: 'When I have really understood chapter 6'

Like many others I had struggled with this chapter for several years, and had read, not only well-known commentaries, but also many sermons and addresses on it. But none had satisfied me; rather they had left me with the feeling that they were in trouble. Some just skimmed lightly over the surface, using the chapter to prove their particular holiness theory. The more solid commentaries seemed to be contradicting themselves and each other.

In 1954, while preaching a series of sermons on Spiritual Depression, and studying this chapter again, I suddenly felt I had arrived at a satisfactory understanding, and preached two sermons on Sunday mornings giving what I now regarded as the true exposition of the main argument of the chapter. Having done so, I felt that I was now in a position to preach an extended series on the whole Epistle; and I began to do so in October 1955"

From the preface to his 'Exposition of Chapter 6-The New Man' (Banner of Truth 1972)
Page [xi]

1 comment:

tallandrew said...

Best chapter in the bible. Maybe that is going too far, but it's one of my favourites.

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful