Friday, August 21, 2009

Soweth

"I fear there are some Christians among you to whom Christ cannot say ["Well done, good and

faithful servant"]. Your haughty dwelling rises...thousands ...have scarce a fire to warm

themselves at, and have but little clothing to keep out the biting frost; and yet you never darkened

their door. You heave a sigh, perhaps, at a distance, but you do not visit them. Ah! my dear

friends! I am concerned for the poor, but more for you. I know not what Christ will say to you in

the great day. You seem to be Christians, and yet you care not for his poor. Oh, what a change

will pass upon you as you enter the gates of heaven! You will be saved, but that will be all. There

will be no abundant entrance for you: `He that soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly'....I

fear there are many hearing me who now know well that they are not Christians because they do

not love to give. To give largely and liberally, not grudging at all, requires a new heart; an old

heart would rather part with its life-blood than its money. Oh, my friends! enjoy your money;

make the most of it; give none away; enjoy it quickly, for I can tell you, you will be beggars

throughout eternity." - R.M. M'Cheyne, Scotland, 1838

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful