Tuesday, September 07, 2010

The idea

There is only one big idea.

Just one.

God has left us with it.

It's called the church.

Bill Hybells has a saying he says over and over again. He said it first somewhere in Courageous Leadership and I have never forgotten it since I read it many years ago.

"The local church is the hope of the world. It's the local church or it's lights out"

I have been helping create a new website for our church. On it there will be a film. Watching this film makes me cry every time I watch it. It's beautiful. I'll be able to show it to you really soon I hope. I really love the church. Now you might say, "I should hope so." No, I really really love the church and I love my church. If you lead the church and you don't love the church and you don't love your church you need to find something else to do. No really, hear this. Do something else. Too many people are leading the church who don't love it. You must love the church. You must truly love the church before you can ever even think about leading one.

Mike Breem has the idea of a 'Kairos moment' in his book The Passionate Church.

I think I have had one about the church.

As you know, I have been reading Rework and its ideas have really help me. They have helped me because they have spoken into a season of thinking and dreaming and praying. For some it might just be another read but for me it's been something more and God has taken its messages and spoken to me through it.  It has also collided with the things I have been reading in the Scriptures. It has truly fused some ideas for me.




"We all have ideas. Ideas are immortal. They last forever. What doesn't last forever is inspiration. Inspiration is like fresh fruit or milk: It has an expiration date. If you want to do something, you've got to do it now. You can't put it on a shelf and wait two months to get around to it. You can't put it on the shelf and wait two months to get around to it. you can't just say you'll do it later. Later, you won't be pumped up about it anymore. 


If you're inspired on a Friday, swear off the weekend and dive into the project. When you're high in inspiration, you can get two weeks of work done in twenty four hours. Inspiration is a time machine in that way. Inspiration is a magical thing, a productivity multiplier, a motivator. But it won't wait for you. Inspiration is a now thing. It grabs you, grab it right back and put it to work."

[Page 271]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have o good break.
Look forward to your return.

Norman

Anonymous said...

The local church is struggling in Kirkby-in-Ashfield.
We need an outpouring from the Lord.

Norman

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful