Monday, March 07, 2011

The books that went skiing with me

1. The one thing you need to know

This is a book about leading and managing things and people. I discovered Buckingham when he spoke at the Willow Creek Summit and liked him both because it was nice to hear someone English and also he shared oodles of helpful material. He is a truly superb communicator and this book could be your one stop stop about management and leadership and what it means to be 'successful' in what you do. Some of this is just common sense but as often said the trouble with common sense is it isn't very common. Here is my question. Do you manage or lead anybody? Are their people in your workplace, a group in your church, your children or anyone else who would benefit from you being skilled at leading and organising them better for their fruitfulness in life. If so, do them a favour and read this book. My kindle copy is now heavily underlined (which is a fun function I discovered)

2. The greatest secret in the world

I was intrigued by Mandino when the author of a book I found helpful said he has read this over a 100 times and it was the most life-changing book he had ever read. I am not entirely sure about that but as it turns out it is a very profound little read and I read it in one sitting. As you will discover, you are not actually meant to do that but believe you me there is a nugget or two that could really make a difference to the way you do life. It is actually the seven habits it's just that Mandino had the idea first. The book contains twelve 'habits' that you are encouraged to get into your thinking  over a period of 45 days. He promises you will end up earning more money at the end of reading it but as I have no desire for more money this was rather wasted on me as I have downsized for an unchanging C of E stipend. The idea was born as a book to help salesman become more effective but has since been extended as a life manual. Now, of course we already have a life manual don't we (well done class) but this book is not without some considerable merits. Reading this might change your life and Mandino certainly wrote it for you hoping so.

3. Unbroken

Tim Challies rated this as one of his '2010 must-reads'. This is a fascinating story and should go in your bag as your next page-turning holiday read. It tells the tale of Louie Zamperini who was a runner, war veteran and many other things and I am, as yet, only half way through. What has struck me so far is the amazing resilience of this incredible man. The account of his war years and the things he was subjected to confound belief and made me think that our current age is so soft, lacking courage and woolly. We need to read books like this because they remind us of brave men, of friendship, of faith and of the triumph of good over evil.  It's hard to put down.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful