Sunday, May 22, 2011

George Mueller's Secret


You may be unfamiliar with George Mueller and if so this biography will tell you his story. 
Sermon 150- Look at the kindness and the severity of God- in my Romans adventure had this amazing quote about his life and his Bible reading. 
"So the best answer to the question: Where do we look to see the kindness and severity of God? is: Look in the Bible. Read the Bible.
This is a good time to encourage you to press on with your New Year resolution to read it. Don't give up. Your life hangs on this. George Mueller's whole life was a witness to the essential power of reading and meditating on the Bible. He wrote,
For the first four years after my conversion [at age 20] I made no progress, because I neglected the Bible. But when I regularly read on through the whole [i.e., not skipping the severe parts!] with reference to my own heart and soul, I directly made progress. Then my peace and joy continued more and more. Now I have been doing this for 47 years. I have read through the whole Bible about 100 times and I always find it fresh when I begin again. Thus my peace and joy have increased more and more.” (George Mueller, Narrative, vol. 2, p. 834.)
He lived another 21 years after this and his biographer said that by the end he had read the Bible from end to end 200 times. [1] This was the key to his persevering and powerful faith. He looked over and over and over day after day at the kindness and severity of God in the Bible."

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful