Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Who should study theology?


'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.'
C. S. Lewis



You should.

Everyone I chatted to yesterday at St Mellitus seemed wonderfully gripped by the things they were learning. They also at the same time seem to be people with amazing passion for mission and evangelism that they are working out in the context of the local church. At a time when it is easy to be gloomy about the state of the church there is much to be encouraged about going on currently.

Most people think they are not clever enough to study theology. That is patently not true (Acts 4:3) and theology is in fact for everyone. If a numbty like me can study so can you.

If you are searching for a good teacher then why not try Alister McGrath, who is both brilliant and understandable. His Christian Theology: An introduction is a great primer on these things and is a very accessible read.

He has written a book or two over the years:) In one year alone I think he wrote eight.

I would also commend spending an hour with him give this lecture about his book called 'The Passionate intellect: Christian faith and the discipleship of the mind'. This may help you see that theology isn't so scary and that good theology taught by wise people can bring immense wonder, joy and transformation to the heart.

Maybe too you might even brave a module at The School of Theology as a way to dip your toe in or know someone who might like to?

Why not put the Godpod on your phone? Here is my v. brainy pal Sean on Episode 67 (who tutors on Ethics).

Oh, by the way my friend Rod who is also a theologian in the making and helped and encouraged me at Vicar factory in so many ways has a new blog that's worth checking out called Rod Green.tv

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful