Friday, April 27, 2012

Facing the Canon

Grace is the most perplexing, powerful force in the universe, and, I believe, the only hope for our twisted, violent planet.”
Philip Yancey

I had a wonderful night on Wednesday listening to J. John interview Philip Yancey. He is such an easy and interesting man to listen to. I think I have read almost all of his books and prescribe you reading 'What's so amazing about Grace?' at least once a year if only to read Babettes Feast story and the account of the prostitute. As an aside, I keep opening the Redeemer app just to read and remind myself of the gospel with the phrase 'Grace changes everything'. Try it and see.
It was J John who preached the gospel to me in Jesmond Parish Church over twenty years ago and Jesus rescued me. It was nice to see and chat with him and he gave me a pile of DVD's which blessed me. He was much encouraged to hear about the church plant in Barnes- remember even globally influential evangelist's do need a bit of encouragement every now and again :)
I really recommend the Facing the Canon series to give to a friend, for your home group, youth team (especially the interview with Mike Pilavachi), leadership team or just for personal reflection and insight. Interviews with Matt Redman, Jackie Pullinger, Andrew White and others. A good option for those emergency 'what shall we do/study/watch this week' that we all have sometimes.

I can't stop singing and praying 'Help me find my own flame'. Pray it and sing it with and for me.

1 comment:

Steve Martin said...

Great testimony!

Thanks for sharing it, and keep up the good work.

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful