Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A question to ask yourself

'The world was made so that Christ might be born

David Ferguson

In recent weeks I have been doing lots of things but I have especially being trying to do lots of watching and learning. Frankly, I know very little about anything really but I do know there are those around me who know a ton. My job is perhaps developing an ability to be able to ask the right questions. This involves the slow process of finding, meeting and listening to the people of peace in my community which just takes a while. I am attempting to work out, or a better word might be 'discover', what the needs of my church, my community and my city actually are. Reading Missional Renaissance a couple of years ago put me on to this pattern of thinking (a US context but the principles stand).

What do the schools need?
'
What do the families need?

What do the young people need?

What do the elderly need?

What do the toddlers need?

What do the businesses need?

As I do this I have a constant question in my mind which is this:

"Can we [the church and or individual Christians] do anything about this?" and then if the answer is yes then this leads on to the challenge of 'How?' and 'When?' and 'Who?'

Now,  those of you who read this blog with any regularity know that I do know what people need. They need to hear and receive the gospel and witness its transformative work and power. Too often I think, we separate to the two and either focus on the 'hear' or the church simply turns itself into the social services to 'do' often doing a less good job with little transformative power. We need both the Spirit's power and a transformative impact.

I am always inspired when people respond with with a yes to the question "Can we/I do something about that?" These two films may inspire you to believe that God can use you as an agent for change in this broken world of ours and that when we pray 'your Kingdom come' Jesus might mean it for you or indeed us be the answer.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful